Occupants of Duckmanton Lodge.
1841: Benjamin Smith. Ironworks Owner.
1851: John Bennett. Pastor, but of where we do not know.
1861: Mansfield Henry Mills. Land Agent, Arkwright Estates.
1871: Mansfield Henry Mills. Sometimes called himself Mansfeldt.
1881: A.William Byron(m). Land Agent, Arkwright Estates.
1891: A.William Byron.
A.W.Byron was instrumental in seeing the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway Bill through Parliament in the late nineteenth century along with William Arkwright of Sutton Hall and Dixon H. Davis who later became the solicitor for the Great Western Railway.
In 1919 the Lodge was sold as lot 74 in the sale of the Arkwright Estates. It was sold for £2,000 to the tennant Mr.D.N.Turner along with three acres of land.
Sometime later it was purchased by the Staveley Company and during the 1920's it was supplied with electricity along with other Staveley Company and local council ventures. This is shown in the 1927 edition of the companies magazine which shows the electrical distribution around the area linking the Lodge to Arkwright Town and Calow Main Colliery.
(ColouredGreyon the accompanying Sale Plan No.5).
A Comfortable Family Residence known as “Duckmanton Lodge” situate about Two miles from Chesterfield on the North side of the Bolsover Road near Calow, in theParish of Sutton-cum-Duckmanton,
Stone and Brick Built and Slate Roofed, containing :
On the Top Floor, Two Good Attics (one fitted with Bath and Hot and Cold Water Service) ;
On the First Floor,
Four Bedrooms about 16ft. 1in. by 17ft. 0in., 16ft. 1in. by 14ft. 3in., 16ft. 5in. by 10ft. 8in., 14ft. 7in. by 14ft. 2in. respectively ;
Two Dressing Rooms,
Three Small Bedrooms,
Two Bath Rooms (each fitted with Bath, Lavatory Basin and Hot and Cold Water Service), w.c.,
Housemaid's Cupboard fitted with Sink,
Landing with Main and Secondary Stairs to Ground Floor;
On the Ground Floor,
Dining Room about 19ft. 1in. by 16ft. 3in.,
Drawing Room about 19ft. 1in. by 16ft. 1in.,
Morning Room about 14ft. 8in. by 14ft. 3in.
Inner Lounge Hall with French Windows to Garden and Entrance Hall,
Kitchen (fitted with Range,
Dresser, Cupboards and Sink),
Butler's Pantry (fitted with Sink),
Pantry, Scullery, Larder,
Maids' Sitting Room, w.c. ;
On the Basement,
Wine and Beer Cellars and Larder,
Kitchen Yard With E.C. and Fuel Store;
Brick Built Stabling with Four Stalls,
Workshop and Loft over;
Brick Built Laundry (fitted with Sink and Copper),
Garage with Loft over,
Store Loft over;
Paved Stable Yard with separate approach from main road;
Excellent Part Walled Pleasure Garden with Tennis Lawn ;
Kitchen and Fruit Gardens with Two Lean-to Hot Houses (one being the Lessee's property);
Brick Built Potting Shed with Furnace;
Paddock with Two Pig Cotes and Covered Stock Yard.
The Residence, Yard and Buildings are Lighted by Electric Light (by arrangement between the Tenant and the Staveley Colliery Co.).
The Grounds are Walled on the Road Frontage and well screened by Shrubs;
in all about 3 Acres 3 Roods 17 Perches in area;
Let (with One Cottage inWhite Hart Row included with Lot 80) on Lease toMr. D. N. Turner for a term of 12 years from 25th March, 1912, determinable by the Lessee at nine years by giving Six Months' Notice to expire at Lady-day, 1921, at the low Rental of £75 12s. 0d. per annum.
The Lessee has certain powers of determining the Lease in case of insufficient Water Supply.
The Lessee to pay Fire Insurance premium, Land Tax (1918, 17s. 2d.) and the Rates (except the Water Rate), and to maintain the premises in tenantable repair (fair wear and tear excepted).
The apportioned Rent of this Lot for the purposes of this Sale is £69 2s. 0d. per annum.
A Right of Way from the Public Road over the Roadway (part ofLot 76) to the Paddock forming the West side of this Lot is reserved to the Owner of this Lot.
A Right of Drainage through and intoLot 76 is reserved to this Lot.
Water is laid on direct from theCalowMain Supply.
This Lot is subject to Tithe Rent Charge (commuted value) 2s. 2d.